Friday, May 8, 2009

Bees for the Backyard

Well, my bees arrived from Cedar Glenn Aperies on May 1st, and I was able to hive the package that afternoon. The UPS delivery man was not impressed with my humor, since I acted like I was going to drop them. Any how, the type of bees that I ordered are called New World Carniolans since everything I have read, said they would be gentle and easy to have in a city setting. These bees lived up to that reputation and I was able to hive the package without wearing protective clothing. In this first photo I had just tapped the package of bees on the ground and sprayed them with a liberal amount of sugar water.

In this next photo, you really can't tell but I am getting ready to put a marshmallow into the queen cage since this one didn't come with a candy plug. After that I sat the cage in between the 6th and 5th frames and started dumping bees into the hive.
In this last photo I dumped the bees into their new home. which they seemed to like because on May 6th I had to place another gallon of sugar water on top the hive. My reasons for starting beekeeping are for the pollenation that only bees can do and not too mention that I love honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment